How To Wash Stuffed Toys & Plush Pillows
Cleaning Stuffed Toys & Plush Pillows
Your beloved stuffed toy or plush pillow can accumulate lots of dirt and grime over time. Maybe it's high time to give it a bath! So how do you safely clean it? Here’s a step-by-step guide to washing and getting them clean and fresh.
- Get a basin and fill it with warm water then add a small amount of mild liquid detergent or dish soap to form a lather.
- Soak your stuffed toy in the soapy water then gently squeeze the toy a couple of times. You should see dirt coming out.
- Clean the surface of the toy by massaging it using your fingers or dip a clean towel or sponge in the basin then lightly scrub the entire toy.
- For particularly troublesome spots like tough dirt or stains, use a soft-bristled toothbrush to scrub it off - this can be quite rough so use only if needed.
- Drain the soapy water off the basin then fill it again with fresh clean water.
- Submerge your stuffed toy, lightly squeezing and massaging it to get rid of all the suds.
- Repeat the process as needed until all soap has been removed.
- To maintain soft furs, add a fabric softener at the final rinse.
- Gently squeeze off the water. Do not wring or twist the toy to avoid damaging its original shape, prints or decals.
- To remove excess water and speed up drying time, wrap the toy in a clean towel then give it a mild squeeze. Change towels as needed to remove as much water as possible.
- Let the toy dry on its own by setting it on a flat drying rack and leave in the sun.
- Use a drying net if you prefer to hang the toy in a clothes line.
- Once your stuffed toy is completely dry, brush the fur with a soft bristle brush making sure that you are going along with the direction of its fur.
- Apply your favorite perfume to make your beloved toy smell good.
- You're done! Give your stuffed toy or plush pillow a great big hug!
- Be sure to use only white or light colored towel or sponge to avoid risk of color bleeding.
- If your stuffed toy has decal parts or prints, do not squeeze, brush or rub directly on the decals/prints.
- Do not leave your stuffed toy in a humid or damp area to dry since it's a perfect place for molds to build!
- Do not directly pin the toy on the clothes line, doing so will damage its original shape.
- Never use a hair dryer when drying the toy.
- We do not recommend machine wash.
♥ Sometimes a full bath isn't needed particularly if you only got little dirt on the surface of your toy. Learn how to surface or spot clean stuffed toys and plush pillows here. ♥
- Gift Zone